Hello CHS Band Parents and Students, Video of Snell https://drive.google.com/open?id=122HhcE78gLcef9YzkahngyJWf0LcrFZs
Hope you are all staying safe and healthy during this time. Also, I know I had many students come in to grab instruments, music and Chromebooks which will be essential as we transition to distance learning. Please respond to this email with your name and what your favorite song is so that I can verify who is receiving this email and who I need to help sort it out.
Below you will find the following information:
- Expectations for distance learning
- Google Classroom Codes and information
- Calendar events that have been cancelled/rescheduled
- Director’s Notes
Expectations for distance learning
District 51 expectations:
The District has given instruction that each class should provide 3 assignments/lesson per week to continue students learning at an acceptable level. I understand that we are all working through this technology learning as we go so I will definitely be as understanding as I can. Please communicate with me through email, remind text, or phone call if you need any help with this process. I’ll work to response as quickly as I can to any message as well as I am working on a live meeting through google hangout so students and parents can ask any question they need to to me directly.
Students will need to have access to a computer/chromebook and internet access in order to complete the assignments I will give for band in the google classroom. Additionally, each student should practice their instrument daily on any of our concert music and warmups. This is similar to a daily workout to maintain the skills and technique we have worked on all year. The standard practice time should be 30 minutes per day. Mr. Snell will primarily communicate with students via google classroom.
Communication is the key. I understand that many of you have many students at a variety of levels with many teachers communicating with you. My goal is to be as clear as I can be with you in as few individual messages from me as possible. Stay up to date with our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CentralHighSchoolBands/ and our website https://centralbands.wordpress.com/ for general announcement/information updates.
Google Classroom Codes and information
Each band class will have its own online place for assignments and information specific to each class. When signing into google classroom please use each of the corresponding codes to join the class. Please note that each class does not have any assignments as I am wanting to make sure all of them work first.
- 3rd Block Symphonic Band – m3qpfng
- 4th Block Music Theory – knpfq33
- 5th Block Jazz Band – z7njb46
- 6th Block Jazz Band – ci3llan
- 7th Block Wind Ensemble – q2vtcuq
- 8th Block Jazz Band – 2ons3ah
Students will have at least 3 assignments that they will complete each week which will be posted in the classwork section of the classroom.
Calendar events that have been cancelled/rescheduled
Due to orders by our Governor and District 51 we will be utilizing distance learning through April 17th at which point they will evaluate whether or not we will go back to class as usual. As a teacher, I need to be prepared for the situation that we will return and that we will not. Additionally, considerations need to be made for appropriate preparation time for concerts and other events. With all those things and others in mind, below are the follow updates to our calendar and schedule as of March 25th, 2020:
- Thursday April 16th 2020 – Spring Concert with CMU Wind Symphony– 7:15PM at CHS Band Room, Auditorium (WE, SB, JII, JI, MW) CANCELLED
- Monday April 20th – Marching Leadership Applications Due to Snell
- Tuesday April 21st – Wednesday April 22nd – Fall 2020 Wind Ensemble Audition after School
- Wed April 23rd – Sat April 25th 2020 – CO West Music Festival – Auditorium, Band Room, Choir Room, Make Up room (All ensembles: WE, SB) CANCELLED
- Friday April 24th – Leadership Auditions in the CHS Bandroom starting at 3:30pm
- Thursday April 30th – Mandatory Marching Band Meeting in CHS Auditorium starting at 6:30pm
- Monday May 4th 2020 – CMU Jazz Festival – All Day (JII, JI) CANCELLED
- Wednesday May 13th 2020 – CHS Bands Pops Concert – 7:15PM at CHS Band Room, Auditorium (All ensembles: WE, SB, JII, JI, MW)
- Monday May 18th -20th 2019 – CHS Graduation Commencement at Stocker Stadium (All ensembles: WE, SB, JII, JI, MW)
- Thursday May 21st 2020 – Last day of school (All ensembles: WE, SB, JII, JI, MW)
- Friday May 22nd 2020 – 2021 CHS Marching Warriors and Color Guard Mini-Camp at CHS 8am-12pm, Band Room, Auditorium, Choir Room, Marching Field
- Saturday May 23rd 2020 – 2021 CHS Marching Warriors and Color Guard Mini-Camp at CHS8am-12pm, Band Room, Auditorium, Choir Room, Marching Field
Find the google calendar here: https://centralbands.wordpress.com/calendar/
- The Insane inflatable 5k has been postponed until June 13th. Sign up by April 1st here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfvXiSjjdn9h4P9kgzx6IvW-BU7cs0XPqQjTCX85CZeyZ2xWQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
This is a lot of information I know and you will have many questions that I am more than happy to answer. Understand that this is what I know at this point and that may change in coming days/weeks/months. As a band family, know that we are all here for each other. I miss you all and can’t wait till the time we get to resume classes as normal.
Wind Ensemble Auditions for Fall 2020 April 21st-22nd after school.
Hans Snell – Director of Bands
(970)-254-6200 ext. 22160 (bands office)
Mr. Snell has earned a Bachelor of Arts in Music Education at Colorado Mesa University. He has previously taught at Coal Ridge High School and Riverside Middle School in New Castle Colorado. His other music experiences include bass clarinetist in CMU’s Clarinet Quartet, clarinetist in CMU’s Wind Symphony and Orchestra, Grand Junction Symphony substitute clarinetist, pianist in the CMU Jazz Band, Drum Major of the Maverick Stampede for 3 years, collaborative pianist, and tenor in the barbershop quartet Town It Down. He is also actively pursuing composition and has had pieces performed by the CMU Orchestra, Jazz Band, Maverick Stampede, and Maverick Sound. Mr. Snell is a current member of the Colorado Bandmasters Association and the National Association for Music Education.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Are you interested, or do you know of a local business that is interested, in supporting the CHS band program? We are always looking for new community/corporate sponsors!
Please visit the “Community Support” page (link at the top of the website) for more information about sponsoring the CHS band program.